Sunday, January 9, 2011

NEW YEAR -- NEW FOCUS


Welcome back!
Best wishes for a healthful, successful and peaceful New Year.

The second week of January is already upon us. Time flies.

Disclosure: I'm starting my fourth month of attending Weight Watchers. What's this? I have a modest goal that I want to reach by summer. It is often said that the last 20 pounds is the hardest to lose. True. True. True. That's where I remain as of January 8, 2011.

So, what to do? The KitchenGardenCook blog will keep focus on cooking locally and from the garden wherever possible. However it's winter in the heartland and we are under "no-grow" conditions until at least May. Unless you have a greenhouse, of course.

When my family moved to Montana from the California Bay Area in 1994, we determined to create a personal yard landscape that used native plants, but plants that created a coastal, semi- Mediterranean look. Russian Sage for Lavender, varieties of grapes that survive freezing temperatures, many evergreens and grasses, perennial herbs that could live indoors when necessary and so forth. We have been satisfied with the results.
Is it now time to consider modifying our cooking to fit with some of the Weight Watchers' ideals? The WW program is designed with a lot of flexibility--those who want packaged convenience foods can buy them, and those who don't (me) can make their own. You have to calculate "points" but it's easy with the new WW calculator. I still eat too much, even if what I eat is the "right stuff." WW advantage for me is obvious--almost all the fresh fruits and vegetables I want are included at low cost (WWpoints). The all-protein or its opposite, low- or no-fat schemes never worked for me. A combination of both works better, and science has proved it. Testimonials in the weekly group therapy sessions seem to support this. And there are more bodies in the door every week-- let's buy stock....

My weakness is bread and pasta. I come from a family of bakers. And pasta makers. These lovely items can be incorporated into the WW plan, if honestly counted. When I indulge, I have to eliminate the other carbs that day. Commercially processed packaged foods have no appeal for me--never did eat chips or other "sports" snacks or frozen entrees. I've made friends with only one "fake" product so far--diet mayo. Mixed with tuna or chicken it works from my mid-day protein salad. The fantastic calorie difference makes it well worth it.

OKAY--shall we continue on this direction? Please "weigh" in. I want to start converting my French cooking training (yes, Cordon Bleu, Paris 1984) into techniques and recipes that will be gorgeous to look at, great tasting, and more healthful.

Stay tuned!

Kitchen Garden Cook









No comments:

Post a Comment